Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

8-12 times in a 24 hr period I am told is normal.
I go 10-12 times in that period.
I eat almost constantly though.
One of my faults.
I feel like a poop conveyor at times...hahaha.
In one end out the other.
I was also told to eat six meals a day.
I pretty well do that. I am guessing why I am told to do that is to keep my system working at all times.
I usually get up twice a night.
I still have accidents occasionally and leak during the day but over the last seven months everything has slowed up a bit and gotten better...thank goodness. Improvements are so slow and incremental its hard to notice.

Thanks for the replies and sharing your experiences.

My surgeon states 4 to 8 times per day, not every day but most.
I assumed per day was a 24 hour period until I read web forums statements, such as
" 6 times per day and once at night. "

At present, due to the thickness of my Stoma output, with or without Imodium type medication, I have to use a closed bag rather than a drainable one, which I actually prefer.

I currently change the bag 6 to 7 times per day, including once, sometime twice during the night but never more than 7 times during one 24 hour period, unless I have diarrhoea.

I'm hoping that when I have my J pouch created and it's functioning, I'll be able to help reduce the output through my diet and by being selective as to when I eat.

I kind of do that now, especially if I know I'm going to out all day.

Last edited by Former Member
Hi Strange no of BMs you will find are very variable between pouchies...

I generally don't go much during the day (maybe once after I've woken up)then most of my visits are between 4pm and 7pm ....I know of a few other pouchies who have a similar pattern to this who have a quiet pouch during the day and then most of their visits late pm/early eve.....I find emptying my pouch far less hassle than emptying a bag....if you are changing your bag each time it's full am sure u will found pouch emptying far easier and way more convenient !!

Ps ref ure other post open or lap...I am surprised that surgeon didn't tell you straight off that it would be open surgery ...if Uve psyched yourself up for having it in June I'd go with that if I was in your shoes...if Uve had open surgery already I guess they cant be 100 percent certain that they'd be able do it lapro anyway until they open you up....

Ule be in good hands at St Marks whether you have it open or lap as all surgeons are very experienced in pouch surgery and the two pouch nurses there are fantastic and incredibly knowledgeable ref pouches

Good luck

MM
Last edited by Monkeyme
at the moment, my pattern is: once at night, once after waking up, once after or before the lunch, once after or before the dinner, and sometimes after before bedtime. so, 4/5 per 24h.
Have to say that I prefer to empty regurarly although many times, I could "keep" it more, but had experienced some negative issue when retaining so I've decided to increase my bathroom visits.
The cool things are that at the moment, I can actually control and decided when to go, and that I have no hours in the day when the movements concentrate.
The negative is that I must strain (as I said somewhere else) to empty; it seems that gravity doesn't work very well with me (it's a bad-good thing as I have 100% retention but difficultying in emptying).

Add Reply

Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.