Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Hi Melissa,

Nice to meet you.

I have had my J pouch since 1986. I woke up this morning obstructed I've had obstructions all through the years. But a lot more lately in the last four and a half years. In and out of hospital with obstructions. I had one surgery for obstructions that was life-saving in 1989. I've had pouchitis as well on and off throughout the years. Many times on antibiotics. My last hospital stay in July they wanted to put me on antibiotics because they thought I had c difficile and they also thought I had pouchitis I declined the antibiotics and did my own home care with Pepto-Bismol and oil of oregano. To this day since July that it's all I am using for pouchitis.

Surgeon , surgical group was based out of S Windsor , CT (Hartford) and procedures at a few of the local hospitals - colectomy late 1990 then the main j pouch surgery and finally the drop down. Over a period of 6-9 months I recall. A few issues at the time , scar tissue-adhesions that required surgery. Also a painful kidney stone. Maybe 1-2 cases of pouchitis over early to mid 90’s. Both resolved on their own after a very uncomfortable 24-36 hrs.
great since. Last colonoscopy about 4 yrs ago good.

@NMGuy posted:

60 yr old male.  Had mine since 1996, No food restrictions, but still poop approx. 10 times per 24 hours, 3-4 times at night.  Maybe my amount of bathroom trips has eliminated pouchitus, cause I've never had that.

Had a real bad case of food poisoning once where I was hospitalized.

Sorry about your food poisoning back then

I agree 100%!!! I too think multiple bathroom trips prevent pouchitis! A lot of people do not believe that but I definitely believe that too

Thank-you for posting this

Hi all,

j-poucher here as a result of a hereditary gastrointestinal disorder which stems from an error occuring in the genetic code/the chromosome #5 better known as the apc gene. In my case it was mutated from birth, and, like my late father, i inherited familial polyposis that he likely inherited from is father.

My jpouch turned 19 years old this past October, 15.

Of note, I had sub-total colectomy when i was 23 not a total colectomy which is the norm/standard.  My condition has improved as per my gastrointerologist/last examination by way of  endoscopy/flex sig.

Typically fap can get worse, it does not improve. My feeling is diatary changes played some role in improving things and my illness backing off/regressing.

I have my sigmoid colon/last 6 inches or so of colon/rectum.

My most recent diagnoses are  microscopic colitis for which im treated with xifaxin when needed and then i also have ibs-d. I am in aremission from those two illnesses thanks to my gastro placing me on the medication called mesalamine 5-asa   a dosage of 1.2 mg two tablets 12 hous apart, so 2x a day morning and pm

Also canasa 1,000 mg at bedtime helps with  proctitis issues.

I wish you all the best.

Thanks for reading!

Len

Add Reply

Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.