please support our sponsors
Register to post messages
chat | guestbook | ibd links | dietary guidelines | faq's | donate | mailing list | support
j-pouch people
The J-Pouch Group    J-Pouch Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  J-Pouch Forums  Hop To Forums  General Discussion    Does your pouch "look" like this?

Moderators: Bill J, Dave H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does your pouch "look" like this?
 Login/Join 
Picture of nys
posted
Recently, for about 4 or 5 months, I have noticed that my pouch looks noticely different when I look at my tummy. The left side of my stomach in the pouch area is a little bigger and the skin seems to have "fat fold" at the lower part of the pouch. When I look at my stomach with pants on, the left side is bigger and the right side looks normal. No pain or unusal goings on other than the look. I have gained about 4 pounds. Surely goodness it didn't all go to my pouch, did it?

Posts: 395 | Location: Ohio , but retired to Charleston, SC | Registered: February 19, 2007Report This Post
Picture of mgmt10
posted Hide Post
I have the lopsided belly thing going on too but it's been that way since I had the surgery done. The left side of my belly protrudes out a bit and the right side is normal. I refer to it as the alien trying to escape! I have no idea why it's like that. All I know is my bikini days are over!

Marianne

DX UC (pancolitis) 2005 when I was 37-Family history of UC
Tried every drug and diet....all failed
Step 1- 6/25/10 (Laparoscopic restorative proctocolectomy with temporary diverting loop ileostomy)
Step 2- 10/8/10 (take down)
Very pleased with my results.

Posts: 2649 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 10, 2010Report This Post
Picture of Jan Dollar
posted Hide Post
You shouldn't be able to "see" evidence of your pouch through your skin, especially since it is behind your bladder and your uterus. It basically lies on your sacrum at the base of your spine, inside the pelvic girdle. If your belly is lopsided, it is probably due to uneven healing of the incision. My belly is definitely lopsided, but I had an incisional hernia that was repaired with mesh, and that created sort of a one sided tummy tuck.

Jan Smiler

Take a deep breath and relax; this too will pass.

Posts: 22842 | Location: Fremont, CA, USA | Registered: April 07, 2000Report This Post
Picture of nys
posted Hide Post
Well I guess I'm not really seeing my pouch per se, just where I think it is. I had lapro with the bikini incision and the "hang over" or fat fold is right above that on the left side. It just looks more prominently weird than before...flat on the right side, pudgy on the left.

Posts: 395 | Location: Ohio , but retired to Charleston, SC | Registered: February 19, 2007Report This Post
Picture of JennieC
posted Hide Post
When I had my take down they took out fat at the lower half of where the ostomy was so I have an extremely flat stomach in one spot and fat buldges everywhere else, so I basically got a half of a tummy tuck...and asked my surgeon why he couldnt have done the whole thing Smiler
Its probably the way they closed your surgical incision, as Jan said, your pouch is deep inside your pelvis and if you were seeing it in your abdomen there would be a huge issue!

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger

Posts: 135 | Location: Massachusetts | Registered: June 01, 2010Report This Post
Picture of skn69
posted Hide Post
I have the exact opposite...being that my k pouch sits on the right side just below the skin, sitting low on the pelvis I have a bulge/fold/dip on the right.
I had, albeit lousy, surgery to fix the look, remove the 2kg (yup! 2kg, thats 4lbs) fat lump sitting on top of my pouch and attempt to flatten out the quilted look of my abdomen...for the moment (after 3 surgeries) it looks markedly better but still terrible...the folded skin is still there (he didn't pull it tight and added a scar as if I didn't have enough!) but at least both sides are almost the same size.
If you find a decent surgeon then maybe, if it bugs you that much, you can have it fixed.
I don't regret the fix just the fact that he did a lousy job.
Sharon

It could be worse...oh, wait..it already has been! then I guess it can only get better from here....

Posts: 4881 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: July 29, 2007Report This Post