please support our sponsors
Register to post messages
chat | guestbook | ibd links | dietary guidelines | faq's | donate | mailing list | support
j-pouch people
The J-Pouch Group    J-Pouch Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  J-Pouch Forums  Hop To Forums  General Discussion    pre op appt today
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Bill J, Dave H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pre op appt today
 Login/Join 
Picture of Holly M
posted
Surgery Feb. 13th. Had my pre op appt today and all my labs, etc... next Friday go to see the ostomy nurse and get my "dot". Hope it won't be needed but am getting prepared just in case the one step will not work for me. Hope everyone is doing well on this last day of January. Where has the time gone?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Holly M,

Holly
UC for 26 years,
DX of Low Grade Dysplasia April, 2011
Step 1 done Feb. 13, 2012
Step 2 done April 18, 2012

Posts: 757 | Location: Virginia  | Registered: August 13, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey holly. Hope all went well with your pre-op. The next few months are going to be tough with plenty of challenges. I did the 1 step, and am now 3.5 months and doing ok but still not back to what I'd call normal. It's a slow recovery and that's the hardest thing to get your head around. I know you've been on this site for a while so i am sure youve picked up all the tips. Don't expect too much too soon. Remember your bypassing the healing time of a two or more step procedure, so it will be slower. Let me know if there are any questions on the one step? Gary

Posts: 74 | Location: Sunshine Coast, Australia  | Registered: December 15, 2011Report This Post
Picture of Holly M
posted Hide Post
Gary, glad to hear you are doing better, I know at one time you were thinking of having to get a temp. ileostomy to let the pouch rest, I am assuming that didn't happen? Did the docs say anything about probiotics for you yet? Keep us posted on how you are doing and I will do the same for sure.

Holly
UC for 26 years,

posted Hide Post
Holly. I didn't get the temp ileo, don't know what he was thinking. Had a real tough period, and whilst I'm not there yet, it's tolerable, just uncomfortable. I take a probiotic capsule in the morning and then a yakult drink at night. I'm also doing pelvic floor exercises given to me by a physio and have 3 baths a day. Both of these have helped make things easier. You'll work out what's best for you.

Posts: 74 | Location: Sunshine Coast, Australia  | Registered: December 15, 2011Report This Post
Picture of mgmt10
posted Hide Post
You will do great Holly! Keep a positive attitude as best you can. It's so easy to get down during the whole process. It's tough but it's a small blip on life's radar map. Smiler

Marianne

DX UC (pancolitis) 2005 when I was 37-Family history of UC
Tried every drug and diet....all failed
Step 1- 6/25/10 (Laparoscopic restorative proctocolectomy with temporary diverting loop ileostomy)
Step 2- 10/8/10 (take down)
Very pleased with my results.

Posts: 2644 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 10, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Holly. Your last normal weekend for a while, enjoy. Good luck for Monday. Hope your operation goes smoothly, and your recovery is quick. Let us know how your fairing when things settle down.

Picture of Holly M
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone, got my "dot's" today. Hopefully won't need either one of them. I will keep everyone posted as soon as I can. I have the feeling I will have a great recovery!!! hard but great!!

Holly
UC for 26 years,

Picture of kathy smith
posted Hide Post
Looks like you're going to have a happy valentine's day without that bad guy inside of you. A very good gift.

kathy Big Grin

Lately it occurs to me, what a long strange trip it's been..... Grateful Dead

Posts: 9461 | Location: california | Registered: June 30, 2000Report This Post
Picture of Inflamed&Untamed
posted Hide Post
I know I wished you luck on my fbpage but wanted to wish you luck here too!

-Sara

http://www.inflamed-and-untamed.com/

DX UC 1996
DX changed to crohn's 2011
DX gastroparesis and chronic intestinal pseudo obstruction 2009

J pouch step 1: 7/18/08
step 2: 9/10/08
adhesions removed 9/10/08
Midgut volvulus surgery 1/15/14

Currently on remicade and TPN for Crohn's disease and small bowel dysmotility.

Posts: 87 | Location: Michigan | Registered: January 04, 2012Report This Post
Picture of mgmt10
posted Hide Post
Wishing you a speedy recovery Holly...good luck!

Marianne

DX UC (pancolitis) 2005 when I was 37-Family history of UC
Tried every drug and diet....all failed
Step 1- 6/25/10 (Laparoscopic restorative proctocolectomy with temporary diverting loop ileostomy)
Step 2- 10/8/10 (take down)
Very pleased with my results.

Posts: 2644 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 10, 2010Report This Post
Picture of Holly M
posted Hide Post
liquid diet today, miralax later whoo hoo! Last day of normal for awhile. But I am ready (I think)!! gotta be at the hospital at 5:30am tomorrow morning,surgery at 7:30. Any last minute tips will be welcome. I have gotten alot of good ones from you guys and feel very prepared. Thanks everyone for the support.

Holly
UC for 26 years,

posted Hide Post
Best wishes, Holly, on your journey! I remember waking up from my first of two steps feeling as though I had been run over by a tank but knowing, at the same time, that I was cured! Strange feeling realizing that "all" it took was getting rid of that sick colon! You are well on your way to wellness. Those pain meds are a godsend and don't be afraid to use them. I had a pump and only needed to push a button to stay on top of it all. This allowed me to walk, walk, walk those halls and doing so really helped with my recovery. Best wishes!

C.E.M.

Posts: 732 | Location: Southern California | Registered: February 06, 2011Report This Post
Picture of Holly M
posted Hide Post
CEM I am definately not going to be shy when it comes to my pain management that is for sure!!!And can't wait to start feeling good, have energy and good health.

Holly
UC for 26 years,

Picture of CTBarrister
posted Hide Post
quote:
Any last minute tips will be welcome.

Use as little pain medication as possible or just enough to make things tolerable (if you have a drip), and walk around after surgery as much as you possibly can. Doing both of these things will reduce the chances that you get the dreaded ileus like I did. You really do not want to go there.

CTBarrister
UC - 1972 as a 9 year old
Takedown 1992
Chronic Pouchitis Onset 1995
Still J Pouching 2014

Posts: 3174 | Location: Connecticut, USA | Registered: April 12, 2007Report This Post
Picture of Holly M
posted Hide Post
djb - thanks for that advice I was thinking I want as much pain meds as I can get, but what you said makes sense, enough to make things tolerable. How long did it take your bowels to wake up?

Holly
UC for 26 years,