Skip to main content

yesterday a couple hours after lunch, i started getting really painful cramping and had pure liquid diarrhea every 30 minutes!!! I started taking Cipro last night (took 3 pills so far), but it doesn't seem to be helping that much. I still have to run to the bathroom every hour and it's like peeing water from my butt!

is this pouchitis? When does it get better? What can I do? Do I stay on Cipro? Am starting to feel really bad....

thanks.
j-pouch : 8 months
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Something that starts that rapidly sounds a lot like a norovirus. Antibiotics don't help and all ou can do is try to keep up with fluids. If it gets out of control, IV hydration is necessary, so be careful. The good news is that norovirus generally lasts only a few days.

If it is bacterial, then it can take up to two days for improvement.

Bacterial or viral, it could easily be food poisoning, not pouchitis. But, I got my first case of pouchitis after food poisoning. My husband recovered in a couple of days. Mine got worse instead of better in that time period.

Jan Smiler
Taking the Cipro won't hurt, even if it is viral, just won't help (but might help prevent this from escalating to pouchitis).

If it is viral, lomotil is fine (if it does anything for you)). If it is bacterial, lomotil might keep toxins in longer. So play it by ear. Itey lomotil. If it improves your symptoms, keep it up, if it makes them worse, stop it.

Jan Smiler
I had the noro virus in jan, 3 days of liquid and then a few days iffy after that. I did run to the doctor by the 4 th day cause I had recently been on antibiotic and I already had c diff this summer so I was afraid it was back, test negative yay, but by the time I saw her and I didn't realize it I was very dehydrated. She gave me fluids and told me if it didn't stop to go to the ER for more fluids. Boy, was she mad at me for waiting so long to see her but with all the hospitals sick with flu patients I was trying to tough it out till I got in to see her.
thanks guys... day #3 and I am finally starting to feel better. Yesterday I passed out at the top of the stairs and the room went black. I should have gone to the ER, but stubborn me just sipped on gatorade and chicken soup. today i feel like i am recovering from a truck collision. but I'm not going to the bathroom so much, and retaining more fluids.

Add Reply

Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.