please support our sponsors
Register to post messages
chat | guestbook | ibd links | dietary guidelines | faq's | donate | mailing list | support
j-pouch people
The J-Pouch Group    J-Pouch Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  J-Pouch Forums  Hop To Forums  General Discussion    Hernia repair / NJ surgeons
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Bill J, Dave H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hernia repair / NJ surgeons
 Login/Join 
posted
I'm have what appears to be a hernia in the area of previous incisions. The bowel is not currently herniated. Due to the JPouch surgery (12years ago), the general surgeon I saw won't touch me unless it's an emergency. My primary Dr. is suggesting I go back to the colorectal surgeons at Mt. Sinai that did the original surgery.
There may be a logistical and insurance problem with that though.
Anyone have experience in NJ with surgeon that may be able to help?
And regardless of location, for anyone who has had incisional hernia repairs done following Jpouch, was it a colorectal or general surgeon?
Thanks in advance for any advice or info.

Posts: 29 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: May 20, 2005Report This Post
Picture of Jan Dollar
posted Hide Post
I had an incisonal hernia repair, but it was only a year post j-pouch surgery. It was done by a general surgeon, but he was also my j-pouch surgeon. Not sure why this general surgeon is spooked by your j-pouch, as it should not even be a factor. But, if he is, I guess just as well that he is passing.

I recommend that you contact your colorectal surgeon and ask for recommendations for someone in your insurance network. If you give him the list of names, he should be able to recommend at least one. Easier than trying to go out of network. This should be no more than a same-day or overnight procedure, at most, unless you have other risk factors going on.

Jan Smiler

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jan Dollar,

Take a deep breath and relax; this too will pass.

Posts: 22799 | Location: Fremont, CA, USA | Registered: April 07, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jan

I'm having a scope of the pouch done tomorrow, so we'll see what advise the GI can provide as well.

Picture of TE Marie
posted Hide Post
My C/R surgeon did my incisional hernia surgery and it was 5 months after take down surgery.

UC diagnosed 1997, Take Down 12/29/2010

Posts: 4524 | Location: Iowa | Registered: January 22, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Scope went well today. Dr said the pouch is fine and looks good Smiler
Small bowel series scheduled for tomorrow morning to try to get a better idea what's happening with rest of the bowel.
We're looking to maybe go to some colorectal surgeons at Robert Wood Johnson in New Brunswick or back to My Sinai NYC.

posted Hide Post
I too am looking for a great colorectal surgeon in the North Carolina area who can do a incisional hernia surgery 13 years after take down surgery. Also haven't been seen or scoped in years. Any suggestions for good colorectal doctors and hospital near North Carolina. Would prefer not to have to go back to Florida. Thanks for your help ahead of time.

Posts: 3 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 30, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Last month had an inguinal hernia repaired at N.Y. Presbyterina. Diagnosed by my wife (E.D. doc) and confirmed by my Colo-Rectal surgeon at Presbyterian. He, too, would not operate on me unless it was emergent. Fortunately it was not and he recommended a colleague (http://www.weillcornell.org/alp2014/).

Having had difficulty in the past with obstructions during general surgery, they opted for an open procedure under MAC. Surgery went fine with no complications. Give me a shout if you want to talk.

DX - '83
1st Step - '86
2nd Step - '86

Posts: 11 | Location: North/Central New Jersey | Registered: February 24, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Small bowel series today went well (and quick).
The radiologist kinda indicated that everything looked fine. Which is good, but doesn't help towards getting an answer.
We're gonna wait till the GI gets the report Monday before deciding on a surgeon.

For those that have had incisional hernias, was it an obvious pain or more of a discomfort?
My symptoms are discomfort and muscle twitches in the area between the mid line scar and stoma scar. Any real pains have been mild and very brief. And the symptoms have primarily been following some type of physical activity. It seems like the lack of consistant pain and no currently herniated bowel, is making it difficult to diagnose.

Picture of TE Marie
posted Hide Post
I was having what I thought were partial obstructions all the time and the pain was primarily on my right side and around the stoma area. My surgeon examined my abdomen and said I had an incisional hernia and set up the surgery. I had no tests before the surgery.

I was expecting a 1-2" incision and woke up to my entire surgical incision stiched up. When I asked him why he had to open me up so much he said because I had a"big" hernia. Instead of less than 24 hours in the hospital I was there 3 days.

I still have similar pains but not the blockages.

I had a small bowel series test after that surgery as I'm still having abdominal pain - although I've only had a few, what I'd call partial blockages or hang ups. The small bowl barium test is good to see if there is anything pushing in or restricting them.

I hope this helps and that you have your surgery soon. It really is a breeze compared to the J-pouch surgeries.

posted Hide Post
"toughenough" When you say "it was a breeze,compared to the J-Pouch surgeries", how could that be if they split you totally open again? How long before you recovered again where you didn't think about it and just went about your daily day? I had three really rough J-Pouch surgeries and even though the hernia is bulging about the size of a ping pong ball and a half and it hurts if it push it. I have been living with this for 13 years. It is getting worse though. When I cough it really hurts and sometimes goes into spasm. That really hurts, kind of like someone is tugging on it from the other side and somehow it is attached to my navel via my back. Obviously the pain isn't localized and phantom pain at times but it still scares me lately. Like it is a thin ballon lining in a bicycle tire that has developed a bubble and you know it will never return to its original shape and size and it is getting thinner and weaker each day. This is all in my head because I can't see it but that is what it feels like. Can't they just do this laparoscopicsally (sp?) and not have to dig up all the old plumbing? It is starting to make me feel like I am pregnant to some degree at times. Am I crazy here? Am I really at risk here or can I just work around this and continue to tighten up my belt to keep it in when it bulges so much it hurts. Sorry for all these questions but I haven't been on this board for a long time and you all seem to be experts and I have just been winging my way through this pretty much alone for the last 7 years since I last posted. Thanks again for any and all help.

Posts: 3 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 30, 2006Report This Post
Picture of TE Marie
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like nothing. I was in the hospital 16 days after my 1st surgery which included colon removal, j-pouch construction and a temp ileo. I had horrible dehydration problems.

The takedown surgery included an abcess removal right under the original surgical incision and I had to heal with a gapping hole that was 2" deep, 2" long and an inch wide. I had to pack it, as well as the stoma area for months until it closed. I had a 2nd belly button under my belly button.

For me it was an easier surgery, they opened me up for the 3rd time in the same incision and after the surgery it was closed and the 2nd belly button was gone. So the recovery didn't involve a stoma or a hole to stuff. I had to wear a abdominal wrap for months afterwards but it wasn't bad.

Everyone is different and if your's isn't that big maybe they can do it laproscopally (spelling issue here too). I've had 5 operations on my abdomen and the scars and adhesions that come with each surgery is not good. I have daily pain.

If it's getting worse I can see why you are looking to have it removed. I really didn't have a choice, 3 surgeries in 7 months. So hopefully the tests will help them to be able to remove it so you don't need an open surgery.

Picture of Jan Dollar
posted Hide Post
My only symptom was a grapefruit sized bulge when I stood up or strained in any way. I had no pain or obstructions. Surgery was open, not complicated by adhesions in any major way (he took a peek at my pouch and said everything was fine). Mesh was used because it was large. It was an overnight stay. I was up and at 'em within 24 hours, doing my usual stuff, running after the kids and what-not. I did have a complication of a persistent seroma that required drainage multiple times, but it was no big deal.

All in all, a cake walk compared to my j-pouch surgery!

Jan Smiler

Take a deep breath and relax; this too will pass.

Posts: 22799 | Location: Fremont, CA, USA | Registered: April 07, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I had an open incisional hernia surgery at Cleveland Clinic - Florida so no NJ recommendations. Before surgery, I had bad pain in my abdomen. Felt like it was tied in knocks. It was like I did 1 million sits and was super sore.

The surgery was actually much more major than expected. I was in the hospital for 6 days and was in a lot of pain. The incision was large and glued, rather than staples (which was nice). He also improved the look of the incision which was a nice benefit! Being open, it hurt getting out of bed, coughing, etc.... My bowels took a while to wake up (ileus) and became distended which hurt as it extended on the incision. You will heal and in 4-6 weeks be back to normal. Or you can be like Jan Dollar and recover much faster. Good Luck!

Posts: 800 | Location: USA | Registered: August 30, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
CWH108, that sounds pretty similar to what I'm experiencing. But haven't noticed any bulge.
Unfortunately I don't have the option of living with it as long as it doesn't cause a problem. I work as a firefighter, so I'm out of work right now. I need someone to figure it out and fix it so I can return to work. Or declare that there's nothing wrong at all.

posted Hide Post
Couldn't decide between going with a local CR surgeon or the original Dr.s in NYC, so we made appointments with both. We'll see what both say and then decide from there.