Skip to main content

It's time to remodel our bathroom. I don't care what color anything is, but I really, really care whether the new toilet will wash away the poop that gets sprayed onto the sides and especially the rear wall, without having to stick my hand in there. Do folks have newer (i.e. low flow) toilets they can recommend or warn against in this regard?

In a similar vein, could folks share any experience with the bidet feature that pre-wets the bowl to facilitate cleaning? Toto calls this feature e-water+.

Thanks!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Oh, the great toilet debate. I have older toilet in my condo which does a pretty decent job of rinsing so I'm okay in that department, but my parents have more recently installed the low flow toilets at their place, and I find they simply do not clean the back or the sides--and not even just a little; the water barely even runs in those areas. I find I spend a lot of time cleaning my parents' toilet when I am over visiting. Similar problem when I visit friends an relatives who have intalled low flows.

I can't recommend a brand that will do the job, but I can say based on experience that the low flow toilets aren't particularly good at cleaning the sides, so unless you can find one with a high power wash/flusher, I'd warn you off them. I obviously want to do my part for the environment, but I figure with all the paper and cleaner I'd be wasting on the newer low flows, I'm better with my old water hog which at least rinses 90% of the poopies away. Big Grin
We just had our toilets replaced this week in our two bathrooms. Finally got fed up with multiple flushing of our low flow toilets to get the job done.

I did a lot of reading, and finally dug out my Consumer Reports (Sept 2012), where they rated fixtures for bathroom remodels. We wound up buying what was top on their list, the American Standard Champion 4, 1.6 gal/flush. It actually beat out the Toto and Kohler toilets in the review. I don't know how long they will be selling the 1.6 gal, since they are replacing most models with 1.28 gal these days (at least in California).
http://www.consumerreports.org...ets/buying-guide.htm

Yep, this is the one where they flush a bunch of golfballs...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQLPXImsHQk

Anyway, it has a unique flush system that dumps the entire amount of flush water in less than a second. It really cleans the bowl completely. I only have to clean the rim (that stays dry) and the seat, if I am particularly messy. It is also extremely quiet, both on the flush, and the refill of the tank (nice for my husband when I make late night visits!).

The downside was that the toilet seat lid is flimsy (switched that out right away), and the handle is cheap plastic (switched to a nice metal one).

Funny the things we can get excited about!

Jan Smiler
According to Consumer Reports, the double-flush models are not recommended, because they don't really save water. I was going to go with the Toto, but it seemed that the local hardware stores did not stock them and I did not want to special order one. Plus, the top rated American Standard was only $209 at Lowes.

It seems that the technology has improved a lot since we last remodeled in the early 1990s.

Jan Smiler

Add Reply

Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.