please support our sponsors
Register to post messages
chat | guestbook | ibd links | dietary guidelines | faq's | donate | mailing list | support
j-pouch people
The J-Pouch Group    J-Pouch Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  J-Pouch Forums  Hop To Forums  General Discussion    Sigmoidoscopy

Moderators: Bill J, Dave H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sigmoidoscopy
 Login/Join 
Picture of irish
posted
I haven't posted in a while but check in often. All has been going beautifully since my Colectomy/ one-step J-pouch in 2010 due to second recurrence of colon cancer. I went for a routine sigmoidoscopy the other day. I was allowed to eat the day before, although I ate lightly, with a prep of magnesium citrate after dinner and two fleet enema the following morning, an hour or so before leaving for procedure. I felt I was empty. After my procedure I was very discouraged when the doctor said he couldn't complete the procedure because he couldn't see anything because there was so much stool in my rectum. He said I possibly need a full colonoscopy prep before my next procedure. I was still in the "twilight daze" with my mouth hanging open in shock, I really had no time to process or think of questions. I'm thinking I shouldn't have been allowed to eat the day before the procedure but use the same prep process. I even reread the directions later that day to make sure I had it right. I worry that a full colonoscopy prep will be too much!
What prep process have you all gone through to prepare for a sigmoidoscopy? Thanks for all your input, I appreciate it!!

Carolyn

Colon Cancer
Hysterectomy/Colon resection 6/03
Return of cancer
Total Colectomy with 1 Step J-Pouch 5/10

Posts: 32 | Location: NJ | Registered: August 24, 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
The process for me varies based on when the scope is.

If the scope is in the morning, then I stop eating at lunch time the day before, even prior to that though I eat "light" foods (foods that don't typically like to hang around..).....

I don't do any mag citrate either.....

A full colonoscopy prep is too much and way, way overkill for us with J Pouches.

You said the doc told you, you had too much stool in your rectum? Did they leave your rectum totally in place?

FAP Diagnosed 7/28/04
First Step 8/10/04
Take Down 12/14/04
Highly Modified Whipple Procedure - 9/26/11

Posts: 1172 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: September 23, 2004Report This Post
Picture of Scott F
posted Hide Post
While you can clean out a little J-pouch with a full colon prep, it's just silly and unnecessarily brutal. A simple Fleet's enema or two works just fine, but it's pointless to do it hours before the procedure, since the pouch will fill back up again. I suppose if you tend to have solid or nearly solid stool you might need to plan ahead to reduce the volume or loosen things up. Since the pouch is easy to get to, "wash before looking" pretty much covers it.

--Scott

Crohn's Dx 1980
Single-stage J-pouch 2002 - Dx changed to Indeterminate IBD

Posts: 917 | Location: Towson, MD | Registered: December 10, 2012Report This Post
Picture of Jan Dollar
posted Hide Post
I just keep refilling the Fleets container and "rinse 'til clear."

Jan Smiler

Take a deep breath and relax; this too will pass.

Posts: 22308 | Location: Fremont, CA, USA | Registered: April 07, 2000Report This Post
Picture of irish
posted Hide Post
I do have a rectum and my stool can be solid\semi solid most times. The report stated
"due to solid and semi solid stool throughout half the rectum, the mucosa could not be evaluated"
I would be leery using a full prep next time, I'll have to discuss this with the doc.
Thanks for all your input!!
Carolyn

Colon Cancer
Return of cancer

Picture of Scott F
posted Hide Post
They may be doing more than just a simple pouchoscopy, since there's more to look at (i.e.rectum). I hope it goes better next time.

--Scott

Crohn's Dx 1980
Single-stage J-pouch 2002 - Dx changed to Indeterminate IBD

Posts: 917 | Location: Towson, MD | Registered: December 10, 2012Report This Post
Picture of rachelraven
posted Hide Post
My surgeon just had me be NPO at midnight. I've never had an issue before, even with that. Prior to that, another doc had me be NPO at midnight, a Fleets before I left the house, and one directly before the test.

UC diagnosed at age 11, 1982
Total colectomy, J pouch and loop ileostomy, January 10, 1991
Takedown May 15, 1991
Many healthy years!
Pouchitis December 2012
Perianal abscess then fistula 2012-2013
Draining seton March 27, 2013
Outlet anastamosis narrowing dilated under anesthesia April 16, 2013
Seton broke and out April 22, 2013
New seton and outlet dilation April 29, 2013
Outlet dilation May 21, 2013
Daughter dx with Crohn's colitis February 14, 2014 (age 11, like her mama)

I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.
- Jewish Proverb

Posts: 460 | Location: USA | Registered: December 08, 2007Report This Post
Picture of rachelraven
posted Hide Post
With a rectum, I suppose your stool may be a bit too formed... With my J pouch, things are looser and move out faster. Perhaps that's where the difference lies.

UC diagnosed at age 11, 1982
Total colectomy, J pouch and loop ileostomy, January 10, 1991
Takedown May 15, 1991
Many healthy years!
Pouchitis December 2012
Perianal abscess then fistula 2012-2013
Draining seton March 27, 2013
Outlet anastamosis narrowing dilated under anesthesia April 16, 2013
Seton broke and out April 22, 2013
New seton and outlet dilation April 29, 2013
Outlet dilation May 21, 2013
Daughter dx with Crohn's colitis February 14, 2014 (age 11, like her mama)

I ask not for a lighter burden, but for broader shoulders.
- Jewish Proverb

Posts: 460 | Location: USA | Registered: December 08, 2007Report This Post
Picture of irish
posted Hide Post
Hmmm . . . something to consider. I didn't have this issue 2 years ago when I last had a scope. I guess my pouch wasn't quite mature yet. Which I guess is a good thing, because now it works pretty well.

Thanks again . . .

Colon Cancer
Return of cancer