Skip to main content

I am no stranger to butt burn but, I have tried witch hazel pads, A&D, Calmoseptine and Ilex to help ease this. I also use a bidet in the evenings/whenever I am home. I am 37 weeks pregnant so I am not sure what can be done to help at this point. I am in tears from the frustration. I cannot sleep more than 3 hours w/ out waking up to this irritated, burning, itching sensation. It is not the same as butt burn, it occurs no matter where I sit, how, if I am lying down or walking. Is there ANYTHING you can suggest that might be causing this? What should I do or use? I haven't had to see anyone since takedown for any pouch related issues so I a not even sure where to start with my current medical team. Do I get a referral to a GI or email my surgeon's nurse? Any help is much appreciated as I would really like to get some sleep. Confused
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Sounds like cuffitus which is inflammation of the cuff or last two centimeters of anal canal. The burning and itching are all internal. Also, if your stools are loose this could cause the burning sensation. Try and bulk you stools if possible if this is the case. Your symptoms could be brought on by the pregnancy or possibly pressure on the pouch? Warm baths also will help.

I know the feeling you are describing very well as my cuffitis is chronic. Contact your surgeon who can probably see you or prescribe something rectally to help. You also should consider finding a qualified GI to assist you if you have any future jpouch issues.
I'd suggest Metamucil at this point as am almost positive it is ok to take when PG. It should help make your stools less acidic. Jeanne is probably right about the cuffitis or it could be the pregnancy is putting pressure or something that is causing the problem. Can you try to use prep H or similar suppositories? I say this as they have coco butter in them that should be soothing to the cuff if nothing else. Also check to see if this is ok with your pregnancy. The suppositories have different ingredients than the pads do, pads have more witch hazel which include alcohol. You don't want to stick witch hazel up there, ouch!

Can you tell I've read the ingredients of these things too much, lol. Remember Jeanne - we have been through and through this....together.

If you can see your GI at this late stage of your pregnancy it would be great as having a case of untreated cuffitis with a new baby is not necessary. I'm a new grandma and all those new mom memories came back watching our daughter-in-law with our grand daughter.

Best wishes!
My doctor prescribed colestid to bind the bile (and it also apparently adds bulk), which in theory reduces the burning.

It's a cholesterol reducing drug, so using it for pouch issues is off label.

The way it works as a cholesterol reducer is that, in binding bile and preventing its reabsorbtion, the body is forced to make more bile, which it does through removing and converting cholesterol from the system.

You can see how binding the bile would be beneficial to irritation in the pouch.

Might be worth asking your doc if it might be worth a try.

As quickly/suddenly as this came on it went away. I am having some frequency as the braxton hicks contractions become stronger but am finding that the discomfort is pretty non-existent, knock on wood. I have begun having my wafers again to keep things more formed and find this is helping tremendously. I am one week out from delivery and getting excited/anxious. Just nervous about my "bowels" waking up after the spinal wears off. I have a pretty understanding OB and he is on board with getting the catheter out and me up and moving as soon as I feel ready. Thank you all for your advice and wisdom, it is much appreciated.
My doctor called in Lidocaine 5% ointment. That is amazing. Burns a little when you put it on but in a few minutes: RELIEF. Maybe this would help give you some instant relief through this. I had one weekend I was really sick and my poor butt. It burned so bad so I asked Target Pharmacy and that is what she recommended. So glad she did. I have only used it a few times but grateful to have on hand. But your doctor does have to send in a prescription for it. Good Luck.

Add Reply

Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.