please support our sponsors
Register to post messages
chat | guestbook | ibd links | dietary guidelines | faq's | donate | mailing list | support
j-pouch people
The J-Pouch Group    J-Pouch Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  J-Pouch Forums  Hop To Forums  Help! Need advice now!    Natural ways to control diarrhea
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Natural ways to control diarrhea
 Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone know of steps I can take to naturally control chronic diarrhea? I am currently taking two levbids and 2 lomotils a day and still going 6 times a day. I am looking to trying to have a baby but dr said I would need to discontinue use of these drugs. And quite honestly the meds have ruined my hair and skin. :-( any suggestions?

Posts: 3 | Location: Shreveport | Registered: December 20, 2013Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I have found taking rice slows down my diarrhea. Also psyllium. bananas, peanut butter

Posts: 85 | Location: Boston | Registered: January 07, 2006Report This Post
Picture of Jan Dollar
posted Hide Post
I don't think there are natural substitutes for lomotil and levibid. Natural things will only bulk and thicken the stool, not slow your gut. But maybe that is all you need? But if you are on an antispasmodic, you likely have IPS. If you're lucky, pregnancy hormones might make that simmer down.

How about trying Imodium? It is safe during pregnancy.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/10758415/

Jan Smiler

Take a deep breath and relax; this too will pass.

Posts: 22937 | Location: Fremont, CA, USA | Registered: April 07, 2000Report This Post
posted Hide Post
This will sound too simple, but a friend made me gluten-free oatmeal cookies about a month ago, and I've been having 1-2 after meals and have been doing even better than ever. Don't know if there's a correlation with the cookies, but if you're interested in trying them, here's the recipe: http://www.cookiemadness.net/2...ree-oatmeal-cookies/. I intend to quit eating them for a week or 2 and see how things go.

I suspect the oatmeal in them help thicken/slow things down.

Posts: 826 | Location: Ohio | Registered: March 10, 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I am trying a pectin subst for now. Imodium In the past was liking taking tic tacs for me. :-(. May give it another try though. the oatmeal cookies are Probaly high in soluble fiber which helps bulk up your waste.

Picture of Scott F
posted Hide Post
If Imodium doesn't work then your dose may be too low, or you might get better results from Lomotil (I do). Not natural, though...

--Scott

Crohn's Dx 1980
Single-stage J-pouch 2002 - Dx changed to Indeterminate IBD

Posts: 1282 | Location: Towson, MD | Registered: December 10, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thnks Scott. Yea I could take whole package of Imodium and it wouldn't phase me. Go figure. Lomotil does work but I am wanting to get away from all the prescriptions. So far last two days of trying the pectin and being careful on what I eat have been doing ok. :-) hopefully it'll continue!