please support our sponsors
Register to post messages
chat | guestbook | ibd links | dietary guidelines | faq's | donate | mailing list | support
j-pouch people
The J-Pouch Group    J-Pouch Community    Forums  Hop To Forum Categories  J-Pouch Forums  Hop To Forums  Help! Need advice now!    Anal bleeding with running
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anal bleeding with running
 Login/Join 
posted
I have an issue that so far no one has been able to shed light on, including 2 very reputable GI physicians in the area. Kind of strange... I've been a runner since high school and after my surgery I started having some slight anal bleeding right after running a few miles - not always, just sometimes.

It's progressed to now, where the bleeding starts as I'm running and I can feel it build up in the pouch so have to stop due to the pressure. These are slow, light runs, only 2 miles or so, and I'll eliminate blood just once and there's no other occurrence until/if I run again (Not sure how much blood; once it's in the bowl it's hard to tell and sometimes is with stool. But if I had to guess I'd say 1/2 pint or less). Needless to say, I've stopped running entirely due to how distressing it is. But this is an exercise I love, and would love to get to the bottom of it! Thanks for any insights you may have.

FAP diagnosis 3/2007. Total colectomy 4/2007
Takedown and j-pouch construction 7/2007

Posts: 4 | Location: California | Registered: October 06, 2012Report This Post
Picture of skn69
posted Hide Post
Ok, stupid question time: what kind of runner are you?
Do you run 'high impact', light steps, jogging, sprinting...?
What I mean is could it be related to the way you run and not the fact that you run...? I have a 'heavy step' when I run and have to correct it otherwise I 'thud' when I put my foot down...not good...so I have changed to toe-heel instead of heal-toe. It causes much less impact for me and I don't feel everything shaking up inside...
So that is the question really; how much are you shaking up your pouch and what is bleeding when it is shaken? Is it the vibrations or are they micro tears? I would try another 'high impact' exericse and see if it does the same thing (try jumping rope for 3 mins at a time and see if you have the same result)...if so you know that it is the impact that is doing it...and you may have to switch to stair or hill climbing.
Sharon

It could be worse...oh, wait..it already has been! then I guess it can only get better from here....

Posts: 4859 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: July 29, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for your questions and thoughts - much appreciated! I don't go for speed anymore; there's something to be said for enjoyment... no pain, no pain ;-). So I'm more of a jogger and my form is good. Not a heavy stepper, but the exercise itself I guess is jarring - maybe too much. Other aerobic activities don't have this effect (eg, the "Insanity" workout, similar to P90X; elliptical/stair climbers, etc).Unfortunately I have no idea what exactly is bleeding; nothing that my GI physician can discern.

There's an annual fun run that I love to do, but it's 6 miles and the light training I do for it is problematic. I really hate to give it up but sounds like at this point I should. Bummer, but I can try some new things and see how it goes. Thanks again.

Picture of skn69
posted Hide Post
Sue,
I would honestly keep an exercise diary for a while...what activity you do, for how long you are doing it, under what conditions (before or after eating, emptying your pouch, drinking, morning or night etc...) and then the results of what happens to your pouch afterwards...you may figure something out that way...bare (sp?) in mind that you are your own best doctor/diagnostician and that you know your body best so you are in the best position to monitor it...you might also want to track stuff like what you are eating that week (certain foods are seasonal and may effect you differently like fruits or veggies)...
I don't have any better advice than that...I had asked Jan about skipping rope and she suggested that I avoid it because of the impact factor and my pouch...so I am back to climbing stairs to get the 'thrill' and adrenalin rush.
Good luck
Sharon

It could be worse...oh, wait..it already has been! then I guess it can only get better from here....

Posts: 4859 | Location: Paris, France | Registered: July 29, 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm 4 months out from my takedown and started to run just a little bit too..nothing crazy and same thing happens to me. I wouldnt give up..another poucher I talked to who's not on this forum, same thing. I ran it by my GI he didn't seem alarmed, he explained it as if the running may cause a bit of inflammation. I'm seeing my surgeon for follow up next week and will ask him his thoughts too.

Posts: 145 | Location: Chicago | Registered: March 10, 2012Report This Post
Picture of Meredith
posted Hide Post
I have the same problem. It started when I was training for a half marathon a couple years ago. It was intermittent at that point. But now, anything over 3 miles and I'm bleeding. Same scenario - hurts while running, blood the first time I go after, and then no more blood. My doctor scoped me and couldn't find anything specifically wrong. So I'm taking a break for now and will try to keep the mileage low. Would love to hear if you find something that helps.

Posts: 55 | Location: Somerville, MA | Registered: November 09, 2003Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Sharon, Randi and Meredith! Sharon, great ideas regarding tracking the specifics. It's not my strong suit but now that you lay it out, it sounds very worthwhile to do. Great suggestions.

Randi and Meredith - so sorry you're dealing with the same thing. Let's do keep each other posted with any news or other ideas that we find. Randi, would love to hear what your surgeon says.

I could learn to deal with the inconvenience and try to minimize it more, but I don't want to be doing some kind of damage unknowingly.

posted Hide Post
Sue- saw my surgeon today and discussed this with him. He has heard of this happening. He didn't seem concerned and didn't discourage running either. He didn't offer a clear explanation as to why it may happen but I think if just a little blood came through only in our first bm after a run, I doubt damage or anything serious is going on. I doubt I'm going to pursue running anyway as my strength has not come back fully. I've been enjoying yoga classes lately.

Posts: 145 | Location: Chicago | Registered: March 10, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the same problem. I usually run on a treadmill, and every time I do, I get bleeding. It's not very much, but I do feel it happening while I am running. No other instances of bleeding at all. I too asked my surgeon about it, and he didn't seem to think it was anything to worry about. Just said it could be some irritation while I'm running.

Posts: 74 | Location: Chicago | Registered: September 18, 2007Report This Post
Picture of Spooky
posted Hide Post
I have had this happen on a couple of occasions during/immediately after a run. Once, there was a fair bit of blood. I could feel it while I was running, and when I got home and used to washroom, there were probably a couple of tablespoons of bright red blood. As others have mentioned, my surgeon chalked this up to irritation/hemorrhoids and felt I didn't need to be concerned unless it started happening all the time. I run 3-4 times a week and this has happened just a couple of times. I wish we had an answer for this!

Dx'd Pancolitis June 14, 2005
Step 1 - Emergency subtotal colectomy/end ileo, July 6, 2005
Step 2 - loop ileo September 26, 2007
Step 3 - Takedown! March 28, 2008

*Very happy poucher!

Posts: 1798 | Location: Toronto, Canada | Registered: March 18, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Good to know that it's apparently not serious... but so interesting and curious that it affects a number of people. I have an appt end-Nov for annual scoping and my doc has this in mind. I'll report back, though from what I can tell from everyone's posts here he probably won't have anything conclusive to say. We'll see.

posted Hide Post
well now 1.5 years after the conversation ended, I'm seeking the same information. But, what I find strange is that I ran during the first 8 months after having the take-down and nothing of the sort. And then I ran 4 years afterwards and nothing... then 10 years after and nothing. However, 12 years later, I find the same thing happening over the past month, in the time I've added running to my regimen. It happened something like every 1.5 weeks and after I had increased the intensity or time lapse of the run. But, then it occured yesterday and today (no 1.5 week break in bleedings) and, yes I increased the intensity and timeframe yesterday and today (today, not the intensity, but the timeframe -- 1.5 minutes more -- yes). I've read all of your comments and am finally feeling thankful for having read something calming. And, yes, it is calming all that you said, although seemingly so long ago. I am curious though if "you" continued running and, if so, how was the trajectory regarding the bleeding...?

Ross

Posts: 32 | Location: Guadalajara Jalisco Mexico | Registered: July 04, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Morning

I am also having woes with rectal bleeding following speed walking and bike riding.I am awaiting path reports .For me it started in January
Gastro Md stated pouch looked good when I was scoped last month.

Any other with input would be greatly appreciated.
Cassiecass

Posts: 144 | Location: nyc | Registered: January 26, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Sooo glad I'm not alone on this one. I've been running for years, all after surgery and the bleeding is only a recent thing. Same situation as others, only blood when I empty my pouch immediately after my run then no more. I had a scope a couple of months ago and everything was fine but there was a "floppy" bit in my pouch which I was told was just one of those things that happens and is nothing to worry about.

I was assuming that was causing the bleeding and had put it out of my mind until a recent race where I felt like my body was shutting down as I ran. I turned out to have iron deficient anaemia.

Feeling quite low as I'm in the process of taking my iron tablets, trying to build up my stores, but not wanting to risk running just now and delay my recovery. It sucks because I was supposed to run a half marathon for the first time next month, but that ain't happening now.
Would be interested to hear how everyone else's stories have turned out, bearing in mind how old the original posts are!

Posts: 8 | Location: Edinburgh | Registered: August 04, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Could it be the staples which "bruise" the pouch when running, so blood come in? Did you know we have still our metal staples (if not handsewn) in?

step one: colectomy w/ end ileostomy, 11/30/12
step two: proctectomy w/ loop ileo and j-pouch construction, 4/8/13
step three: takedown 7/29/13

Posts: 120 | Location: Italy | Registered: January 14, 2013Report This Post