Skip to main content

I heard from the Mayo Clinic, Dr. Dozois, wants me to keep this catheter in for 6 to 8 weeks. I need to let my digestive system and valve a rest. This catheter, BARD 28 Fr. Red Latex, I can feel while it's in. My valve is very irritated, my poor valve has been through an awful lot since March 20. It needs a break for now. Don't know yet, what's next.....I may try one more dilation. I love my Kock Pouch!!!! I would like to try and dilate the valve at home. Will see if this is possible, will wait to hear.
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Please be careful whatever you do...I have never had to deal with dialation... my only thought would be to put in a slightly larger tube and leave it there for a few hours/days and then put another one in the next size up...do it very graduallly and do not force anything. It may bleed but as long as it is not excessive then you should be fine.
Stick to a blended diet and do not eat chunks or anything.
Keep well
Sharon
The Mayo Clinic as far as I know at this time, fixes Kock Pouches they originally did. I had mine done there in May of 1978. I'm trying to talk them into doing them again. All I can suggest is call Dr. Dozois and ask if they do the Kock Pouch. They need to see that this is a surgery that is wanted and then they may at one time do them again....don't know for sure. It is worth a try. I've done my part.

I took out my 28 Fr. Bard Red Latex. (I'm wondering if I have a Latex allergy) So I put my 30 Fr. Marlen in. I have it in 24/7. I'm doing ok, I can tell there is a narrowing still at the end. So I may go back in late Spring to have another dilation done. I'm careful what I eat and I chew, chew, chew.....so far so good. I eat nothing with skins and no hard to digest foods. Another words, I'm careful with fiber so it doesn't clog the catheter holes. I miss peas, corn and spinach; other than that, not too much of a difference in my diet. I've had a catheter in now for almost a year.

I don't leak, gas or stool; and I don't have to worry about getting the catheter in unless it falls out. Which it does once in awhile, and I just clean it and put it right back in. So far, I've gotten it back in. I'm scared to leave it out, at this time. So I'll wait until I know the roads are clear and I don't have to worry about the 4 hour drive to Mayo. I also can't drive at night, I can't see unless I'm in town. I have degenerative retina's..... Frowner

Add Reply

Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.