Skip to main content

Replies sorted oldest to newest

quote:
I am not sure what total body vibration is and how it is exercise

Jan,

This is one of the new modern training techniques that is being used in college athletics. Essentially these are platforms that vibrate when one stands on or exercises on them. The vibrating works different muscle groups and gets muscles to work together. It increases speed and quickness and "strength per pound."

On this very topic, I just read an interesting article in this morning's Hartford Courant about the conditioning coach for the UConn men's basketball team, which won the NCAA championship this past April despite being an underdog in most of their tournament games and a heavy underdog in the championship game. UConn's 34 year old conditioning coach Travis Illian believes in a training regimen which stresses exercise on "power plates" that vibrate the muscles as the players do pushups or other forms of exercise. He has been widely praised by the players and other coaches for these innovative techniques. I have been watching this team as a fan for the past 30 years and I never saw anything like what they did this year. On talent alone, their team had no business winning let alone decisively beating a Kentucky team which had 8-10 NBA players on their roster. In each of their final 3 games they played great basketball teams who were seemingly bigger and stronger than UConn, yet UConn throttled them defensively and wore them down as the games went on.

According to what I read, these training techniques were originally implemented with women's gymnastics.

If anyone is interested in the article I can post it.
Last edited by CTBarrister
Crystal,

Here is the article on the UConn men's basketball conditioning coach who uses vibration machines to train the players:

http://www.courant.com/sports/...40816,0,841885.story

I would think the machine is safe for use with a J Pouch, but you may want to check with your GI doctor or surgeon if you are really concerned. Generally people with J Pouches do not have any restrictions in how they exercise.
Thank you very muchSmiler
Because being on prednisone for a year at high doses when I had UC I developed osteoporosis and arthritis in my hip..so this machine is supposed to help with that too..
I have had my j-pouch since August of 99.
I have been trying the machine for a few days and no pain in my joints and my muscles are really sore ..so. So far so good..
Thank you for the infoSmiler
I was told that they are great for bone density...but so is bouncing on a trampoline...anything that vibrates the skeleton apparently helps to build bone.
I tried the power plate (the next big thing over here for the past 5yrs) a couple of times at an institue but never went back due to cost...I tried the occilating, vibrating plateform at a trade show last year (the newest next big thing) and ended up with a blocked sacroiliac for a month. The vibrations were fine but mixed with the occilating plateform it was too much for my joints.
Take it slowly and work up to a level that your body can handle.
They are saying wonderful things about the results you obtain in a very short training time. A lot of atheletes here use it to reinforce thier workouts with wonderful results.
By the way, a girlfrind actually asked her GYN about it because she was afraid that it may cause a prolapse of the uterus or bladder...no answer yet on that front.
Sharon
Thanks for the description! I was envisioning those machines that have a big belt that goes around your butt and jiggles your fat at a fast oscillation rate that was popular in the 50's!

Yes, this does sound like intense exercise. The work your body does to maintain balance is good whole body exercise, and this seems to really accelerate it. If your joints can handle it, your j-pouch should too. I know with my enteropathic arthritis, it would be a pain machine for me! So, I am not getting one. For me, the old fashioned walking, hiking, stretching, and house/yard work is plenty to keep me worn out!

One word of warning. You should take a day off if you are having a lot of muscle pain. It means you over did it. Then resume with shorter workouts. If you work out while in pain, you are more likely to injure yourself.

Jan Smiler

Add Reply

Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.