Skip to main content

Hi everyone! I may be going back to a permanent ileostomy due to some incontinence issues. But would like to ask those of you who have a permanent one, what would be your tip to staying ahead of skin excoriation ? When I had the temp that was the biggest problem and want to be able to tackle when and if the time comes. Thanks all for replies!
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

It will probably be easier to deal with an end ileo as opposed to the loop you had. Typically the output will be less liquid and therefore easier to seal. It really comes down to finding the right pouching system and in this most people experiment. The various companies will send free samples. I always emphasize that you must demand a good stoma, that is one that extends at least 3/4 of an inch from the skin to the opening this is so critical and will make everything easier. My opinion with pouching is to keep it as simple as possible but for most people the first line of extra defense is a convex pouch and then to add an additional seal. Many companies make them the most common is Eakins. But really the key is a good Stoma, a flush stoma or nearly flush is just hard to seal and so skin issues may develop.
I had my surgery back in June, so somewhat of a newbie with everything, but I have found what works best for me is NOT trying to see how long I can get the wafer to last. I read about all those people going 5 days, 7 days, etc, and kept thinking that I can stretch mine to 3 or 4 days. But I have found that for me, I change every other day, and my skin stays in good shape. I would like to go longer, but found that this routine works best for me. So my best advice is, if in doubt, change the wafer early. Skin health is more important than wear time.
Thanks mark! Very helpful, when I did have my loop I was able to have it on a few days before I would feel the burning sensation on the skin. When changed occasionally there was some irritation,but my stoma nurse was AMAZING. I am going to get her back when I go back to the bag in January. I will talk to her about your suggestion!
good and experienced surgeon who will create a great stoma for you, good ostomy nurse(s) to locate that stoma and also to help post surgery, patience with yourself at figuring out the right gear for the first few months after surgery, and quick action should any skin issues begin to develop. All of the above can result in good skin. 2.5 years with a perm. ileo now.. and honestly have only have about 6 weeks of a skin problem.. but that was due to some other freaky things going on in my body. I change kit about every 4-5 days. Perm end ileos.. are way different than loop ileos and much much easier to care for. good luck with your upcoming surgery.

Add Reply

Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.