Skip to main content

Well after 22 years I'm going to have to have my pouch removed...I was diagnosed with Crohns around 2008 and in the last few years it has been down hill...I am wondering for those of you who have had it removed what the recovery is like...is it more difficult then the original surgery...I will be having my bottom sewed up as well...I'm very nervous about this and really having a hard time coming to terms with a permanent ileostomy...I'm 47 and the thought of a lifetime of a bag is scary...but for now I'm focused on the surgery and being able to return to work ASAP...that helps greatly with my mental health...so any advice from people who went thru it is appreciated
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

Goldie,

Cant really comment on the pouch removal surgery, but I have been living with an ileostomy since 2008. The advice I got dealing with the bag, they said it will become just as natural as combing your hair, brushing your teeth ect.
It's not a big deal anymore, it was at first, after I found a pouching system that worked and a good ostomy belt things got better. Now I don't really notice it.

Hang in there, be patient, it will turn out just fine.
I had my pouch removed in August of last year. It is a tough surgery no question. The first 8 weeks were hard, physically and more mentally. You will get through it! I am living my life again like I haven't in soo many years. I am 38 now was, 37 when I had it removed. The barbie butt was a breeze, no issues with that part. Best of luck to you! It will be a tough road but it was the best thing I could have done for myself! I had my pouch for 7 years and had chronic pouchitis all those years. I have my life back now!
Karen

Add Reply

Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.