Skip to main content

Hi I'm new to these forums, my name is Mike nice to meet you.

I'm posting jointly with my gf of two years. She wants to try anal sex but has always been told told those who have had their colon removed should not participate in any behaviors like this.

She had her colectomy when she was four years old as a result of colon cancer (FAP) and she's now 19. Other than frequent bathroom visits, she suffers no real consequences as a result of the surgery.

She tells me that her surgery was very different than most total colectomys because unlike most with a J pouch, she says she has a straight away in which her small intestines are linked to her rectum and she has no large intestines.

I've read many different opinions on this site varying from absolutely not, to users who state they have had successful anal sex for many years with no complications.

Any sort of guidance and information would be helpful as we're both in a the dark about this.

Thanks,
Michael & Meghan
Original Post

Replies sorted oldest to newest

If she has an ileorectal anastomosis, where the rectum is retained and the ileum is attached without a pouch formation, you have more flexibility. The point being, that the rectum is quite distendable and why anal intercourse is possible. Most of us have no rectum, and there is a suture line just a centimeter or two from the sphincters. Contraction of the scar can make any anal intrusion extremely painful for many. Plus, the small intestine is not distendable, increasing the risk of perforation.

Bottom line: she needs to know exactly what surgery she had, so she knows her risks. Most of the time the rectum is removed for FAP. Some had what they call a straight pull through, with the small intestine attached directly to the anus without a pouch created. This was especially common in very young pediatric patients a decade or more ago.

If you do decide to pursue it, go very slowly, with lots of lube, and stop if there is pain. Obviously, there is zero risk to avoiding it completely, so that is the best choice.

Jan Smiler
she does have the straight pull through without a j pouch. The J pouch is what her father has because the cancer was genetic. she had read of others having successful anal intercourse with the j pouch when taking certain precautions but we can't find anything about the relative dangers when compared to the straight away.

can you give a little more information as far as the differences of a straightaway versus j pouch? is one more safe than the other?
There is actually less space and distendability with the small bowel of a straight pull through than a j-pouch. The BIG issue is whether or not she still has her rectum. If she does, there is less of a problem. If she does not, the same admonitions apply as for the j-pouch. Perhaps even stronger admonitions because of the lack of a reservoir. If she is adamant about wanting to experiment, I would suggest trying a finger or two first and see how it goes.

Jan Smiler
So, she kept her rectum?
Pardon I don't know the FAP surgery and implication but I supposed that FAP (cancer) can occur on both the colon (large intestine) AND the rectum so why does them kept her rectum? If she doesn't have a pouch and she isn't incontinent that's probably so, otherwise she couldn't keep much.
If she has her rectum she's right because that's the only part involved in anal sex.

As for j-pouch is another story as it's a new and very delicate organ surgically build, with metal staples attached and can be harmed very easily. So it's certainly NOT advisable anal sex.
I am dubious that she has her rectum, but there was a lot of variety in surgeries 15-20 years ago. A straight ileoanal connection without a j-pouch was more common then, particularly in kids, thinking children could adapt better. Sometimes it worked, sometimes not.

With FAP, I'd think the rectum would need to go, for cancer prevention. But, I would make no assumptions, and it would be easy enough to find out via scope. I trust she has been having regular follow ups?

Jan Smiler

Add Reply

Copyright © 2019 The J-Pouch Group. All rights reserved.
Link copied to your clipboard.